Our bodies are subject to more toxins than ever in our food, body products, water and air. The truth is, toxins are unavoidable, but it becomes an issue when they are left unchecked, opening us up to irritation, harm and destruction in the body. Thankfully, a detox bath is an easy and gentle healing therapy we can do to support our body’s natural detoxification system.
Epsom Salt Detox Bath
The most popular of the detox baths, epsom salts are a salt made of magnesium and sulphate. Both are critical nutrients for the human body, but can be poorly absorbed from our food. However, soaking in Epsom salts counteracts this problem as these minerals both absorb readily via the skin. They have long been used to stimulate detoxification, reduce inflammation in sore muscles, lower blood pressure, promote healthy circulation, and help with relaxation and normalising sleep patterns. Start out by adding one cup of Epsom Salt to your bathtub and gradually increase to two or three cups.
Researchers and physicians alike suggest these health benefits from proper magnesium and sulphate levels:
- Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
- Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
- Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
- Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
- Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
- Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
- Improved oxygen use.
- Improved absorption of nutrients.
- Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins.
- Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
All these benefits from a single relaxing SLIMTOX detox bath. While there are many different brands of Epsom salt, they are all the same product chemically, and can be found at most supermarkets or chemists. Add two cups of Epsom salt, 1 cup baking soda, 1/3 cup Himalayan rock salt and soak for at least 20 minutes. Do this three times a weekly.
If you are pregnant, please seek medical advice before you have an Epsom Salt Detox Bath.